Saturday, December 24, 2011

Happy Holidays!

Merry Christmas and happy holidays everyone!
This year the kids get to spend the first half of Winter break (and that means Christmas) with their dad. Because we wouldn't be together for the holiday, I decided to make the entire month extra special. We put up the stockings early and every now and then someone would find a note or a little gift in theirs. We watched a bunch of our  favorite holiday shows. The kids were bored to death with "It's a Wonderful Life." I'm sure if I force them to watch it every year they will eventually come to love it as I do. When I put on "Miracle on 34th St." the kids were wary of another old black and white, but they quickly fell in love with the little girl who didn't believe and the charming Kris Kringle. A true highlight of the season was going with my kids and my BFF to see "Scrooge" at Terrace Plaza Playhouse. It was the very first live play I've taken my four year old son to. It was incredible to watch his eyes light up and sparkle as he watched Mr. Scrooge change and become good.
On the Winter Solstice we lit a yule fire (really just flipped a switch and our magic gas fire came on all by itself). We talked about nature and the seasons and all the different ways people celebrate. The next morning the children awoke to discover that Santa had dropped off a few of their presents early.
Now the kids are gone and I'm lonely as Hell.
Special times really are about the people we share them with. I am so glad we were able to have such a wonderful holiday season together.






No comments:

Post a Comment