Friday, June 17, 2011

Cinderella

I was very excited to take my kids to tonight's free concert at the Ogden amphitheater, Dwayne Dopsie and the Zydeco Hellraisers, because I just love introducing my kids to new music.  But the tour bus threw a rod and blew the engine somewhere not near Ogden, and the concert was cancelled :( .  Fortunately Ogden has a hopping music scene, and there are always multiple choices for the music loving Ogdenite.  Check out Indie Ogden's expansive list.  And don't forget my favorite Friday night activity, open mic night at the Borrowed Earth Emporium, and it's not too late to drop in because it lasts until there is no one left to share anything.  My kids even sang a few songs when we went a few weeks ago.  So much fun.
A very fun thing that is happening right now at this very moment as I type, is that it is opening night of Cinderella at Beverly's Terrace Plaza Playhouse
In January my BFF and I went to our very first musical there, Urinetown.  It had a very strange name and an even more unusual plot, and we loved it!  It had all the excitement and energy that comes with community theater, and we were hooked.  We vowed we would never miss another show, and we haven't. 
The next one was Oklahoma!  Cameron Kapetanov played the leading role as Curly McLain.  He sang like the role was written for him.  I still get a little weak in the knees when I think about it.  It was love at first note.  
Annie was fabulous.  I brought my girls and got the thrill of watching them fall in love with live theater.  It is a small theater and we bought center section seats so it felt like we were right on stage with them.  The cast of little girls were absolutely amazing. 
Now Cinderella.  The music has all the charm that Rogers and Hammerstein are so famous for.  I'll be bringing my girls again.  We'll be all dressed up and I'll even let them wear lip stick.  And I will get the thrill of experiencing really good community theater all over again.


A few side notes:

Stick around after any Friday night show to check out Off the Wall Comedy Improv for a night of side-splitting, gut wrenching, foot stomping hilarity (and another chance to see Cameron Kapetanov.  Yes, he sings and he is funny.)  Tonight is OTW Fraudway Presents: Pirates of the Parodean at 10:30.  Oh, how I wish I had a baby sitter.

For anyone that would like an opportunity to be part of community theater, auditions for the next show "Lend Me a Tenor" are tomorrow morning.

And lastly, although the concert is cancelled, Juneteenth is not.  It starts at noon tomorrow and at 1:00 Sunday at the Ogden City amphitheater..  $5/person and kids 10 and under are free.

No comments:

Post a Comment